In The Kitchen With Avery & Gigi
PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE SWIRL MUFFINS
While working on the first edition of the Oak Harbour newsletter with my neighbor Cindy, we came up with the idea to feature a recipe of the month. I don't know about you but anything with cream cheese works for me!
We found this one here: http://www.thenovicechefblog.com - DELICIOUS!
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin (pure pumpkin puree)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place paper baking cups into muffin pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, pumpkin spice, baking soda and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sugar and brown sugar.
- Beat in eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture, until there are no lumps. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add in sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Top each muffin with about 1 tablespoon of cream cheese mixture and use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter. This will not look smooth, but it will bake up much prettier.
- Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- I liked these best at room temperature or even slightly chilled! Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
It is highly recommended, if at all possible, that you get a little helper for this recipe. Preferably a cute one in a pink polka dot Minnie Mouse dress. Makes all the difference in the outcome!